Monday, October 5, 2020

PetSmart: Reptile Climbs and Hides

A while back I had the opportunity to do some concept work for PetSmart, a very positive experience for me.  Great creative people, and also a chance for me to branch out into designing some animal and pet products. At one point I've had as many as 3 dogs, now only my cat. But I adore animals, and I had never been tapped to work on anything more than some chew toy ideas, for an inventor.

Some of the PetSmart projects on which I worked were for focus studies, exploring potential themes and new concepts. As they were for internal use I can't share them publicly, unless some of them hit the market in the future.  But some of the reptile climbs I worked on were produced, and have become available for purchase.  Very cool!

About half of the concepts I came up with went to market, all things considered, that's a decent batting average.  Because of proprietary reasons, I'm only showing those produced. I'm also not including the rough sketches, just the approved designs and renderings. Just a few minor tweaks in their transition to actual product, ultimately a broad variety from which to choose. 

 

 

 

  

  

 

.. Aside from not being so toyetic, these had gnarly organic elements, wood and stone, .. I had fun creating a lot of the textures needed for the renderings. 

Some of these explored tropical and rainforest themes, others more desert and rocky terrain; 

 

  

 

 

  

 

   

 

 

 

  

  

 












.. A few of these explored the more wild and exotic, like ancient ruins and fossilized dinosaur skeletons;

















































.. The fossilized dinosaur went through minor simplifications, otherwise the sculpts are pretty close to my initial designs. 

Family fun for your entire collection of reptiles!


No comments: